Today was one of those days when the hours of rain matched my emotions of melancholiness. According to an online dictionary it describes melancholy as "sober thoughtfulness; pensiveness". My heart ached as we had to say goodbye to Kenia and the others at House of Hope as it was our last day scheduled to be there before we leave on Wednesday. I thought and reflected on our time at House of Hope and how it will forever be a part of us now. We had never heard of this ministry before getting here and had no idea that God would lead us to this place but we are so grateful He did. There are some people that you meet in life that seem to touch you in a special way no matter how short a time you have with them. Kenia is one of those people on this trip.
Kenia became like a big sister to Sophia who clung to her like a teddy. Sophia has barely spoken English let alone tried to speak Spanish with anyone here but Kenia's contagious smile and sweet & compassionate spirit won her over. Despite a 10 year age difference they hung out like best buddies. As a mom it's hard for me to imagine having to bring an 11-year old Angelina or Sophia to the street with a painted face and tell her it's time to start selling her body in order to contribute to the family's finances. That's what happened to Kenia. Yet, despite her horrific past, her face shines with potential. By the grace of God she is in the loving & supportive environment of House of Hope, a place where she can grow in her understanding of God's unending love and promises.
As we left the House of Hope grounds I continued to cry....tears of gratitude for the life I live, tears of sorrow and anguish for the pain that Kenia and the others have already experienced in their young lives, tears of sadness that departing brings and tears of complexity as I try to respond to Sophia's request: "I want to bring Kenia home with us"
Jane and family, what a testimony! I cried with you. What a blessing I know you have been to those at House of Hope and I know you have also been blessed. What a testimony to give up your summer vacation and earnings to do something like this. We admire you very much and hope that you can make it back to Morelia one of these summers (when we are here!). Love you guys, Ann
ReplyDeleteHey Jane, your sadness, Sophia's comment, and the blog about the dump just break my heart. I also have so much admiration for you and your family. I sometimes catch myself thinking about the overwhelmingly difficult and seemingly hopeless situations, and I just want to give up because they do seem hopeless. But people like you continue to fight for God's shalom on earth and you inspire me! When I grow up I want to be just like the VanderBeeks...hee hee. Have a great trip back! We'll be in touch about your house guest and I'll see you soon! :)
ReplyDelete