8/23/12

August 23: Angelina's Perspective

Now that you’ve been in Costa Rica for 7 weeks, how would you say it compares to back home?
It’s OK.  I still need to get used to some stuff, like school and sweating.

What do you miss about home?
Friends, neighbors, Grandma and teachers (especially Maestra Durán).

What has been hard for you in your adjustment to life in Quepos?
How small the house is and the difference in the neighborhood.  There’s not much room between houses and not anywhere to play outside.

What do you enjoy or appreciate here?
The food.  I really like gallo pinto (rice & beans).  The fruits are better, especially oranges and bananas.
Gallo Pinto in Costa Rica is made with black beans and usually has onions, sweet red pepper and the 'secret ingredient' according to the locals is called Salsa Lizano, a seasoned sauce sold in bottles like Soy Sauce or Worcestershire Sauce.


What’s been the highlight so far?
The tours and hikes we’ve done to see different animals like toucans and monkeys.








What is a typical school day like for you?
I wake up a little after 6am, eat breakfast and walk to the bus stop at 7am with Mom and Sophia. 






When we arrive at school I play outside with the other kids who are already there.  We often play four square and today we brought along marbles for the first time which the kids really liked.
During first block (7:30-9:00) I have mom as my teacher (my favorite part of the day by far).  We do English language arts with Nathan, a student originally from Maryland.  If there's extra time at the end of class I like to play grammar or vocab games online.

After recess I have second block (9:30-11:30) which is math, science and English again.  I’m doing better in math than I thought I would.
At lunch I usually play soccer with the boys.
During third block (noon - 2:00) I have social studies (in Spanish) and Spanish grammar.  I don’t really like this block as much as the others.

How do you think you’ll come back differently after your experience here?
Being thankful about our house and in the summer when everyone else complains it’s hot, I won’t think it’s that hot.

How do you see God at work through your experiences so far?
Sadie’s visit with her mom really encouraged us.  All the money that has been donated so we can do this.

1 comment:

  1. Yo también te extraño mucho mi princesa, espero que Dios te permita disfrutar todas las bendiciones que tiene para tí y tu querida familia allá.
    Espero que pronto podamos hacer Skype. Un abrazo enorme❤

    ReplyDelete