5/7/13

May 7: Cherishing the treasures

If you learn to trust Me
 - really trust Me - 
with your whole being, then nothing can separate you
 from My Peace.  
Everything you endure can be put to good use 
by allowing it to train you in trusting Me.

Come to Me for all that you need.  
Come into My Presence with thanksgiving, 
for thankfulness opens the door to My treasures.
(quotes from this week in the Jesus Calling devotional)


It's hard to believe we plan to fly out of Costa Rica seven weeks from today.  In looking back, the year has gone fast - especially the last half.  During the first half, we had to learn to trust God a lot as it seemed like we had to endure one frustration and challenge after another as we adjusted to life and school here.  But He saw us through some pretty rough times and we are thankful for His faithfulness AND the faithful support of so many people like you who have prayed for us along the way.

Today was a day that reminded me of the treasures that we will cherish and take with us when we leave next month.  This morning during the first two hour block I subbed for the eight oldest students at El Puente.  They worked really hard and yet we spent time laughing and having fun too.  I am very thankful that God opened the door for us to get to know the precious El Puente students.  They have opened themselves up to our family over the last few months and we will miss them!

The second treasure I was reminded of came while I was sitting on a Quepos sidewalk.  When I got to the bus station for the noon bus out to Parrita, I got a message from Penny at Seeds of Hope saying her husband Chris was in Quepos and he could drive me out today.  I needed to wait for him outside a restaurant so I sat down on the shady side of the sidewalk to read.  I saw feet stop next to me and when I looked up it was Alfredo greeting me with a big smile.  He's one of the graduates from the Casa de Amor rehab center.  He's doing great now that he's transitioned back into the community and was with his teenage daughter.  He's hoping to come with her to this Sunday's gathering at Casa de Amor.  I am thankful God opened up to us a surprising door of treasure at Casa de Amor.  We love and appreciate the men who have welcomed our family there over the last year for fellowship, food and worship.

And finally, the third treasure that I will cherish is the opportunity to get to know the staff and girls at Seeds of Hope.  After the Spanish class I did with the staff today, they again shared how excited and appreciative they are of me coming out there.  They all stayed for the English class with the girls so they can have more training and continue the classes once I leave.  As for the girls, it is humbling to be a part of their journey. In today's class we talked about our dreams.  One of the girls shared that she wants to be a police officer so she can put herself through law school so she can work for Seeds of Hope and other ministries that work to fight human trafficking.  She has a painful past and could be bitter and sullen yet she has these big dreams of helping others.  The Seeds of Hope staff yearns to walk along side these girls to equip them with the spiritual, emotional, social and physical tools they need in order to live out these dreams.  It is an honor and blessing to be a very small part of that process.

I am thankful that God has given us a glimpse of how He's at work at El Puente Christian School, Casa de Amor rehab center,  Seeds of Hope and Casa de Pan church (the service on Sunday went really well for those that were wondering!!  Thank you if you prayed!).  

What about you?  Where do you see God at work around you?  Can you give thanks for the doors He's opened?  Maybe even some you weren't expecting or anticipating? Maybe even after having to endure some difficulties?

No comments:

Post a Comment