6/26/09

Thursday, June 25: VBS final day





Four days of VBS fly by, especially when you miss one because you need to spend it at the police station.  Although it was hot and tiring, I would have loved to do another week of VBS.  With the highschoolers I felt Monday went OK, but it was hard b/c we didn't know each other.  On Tuesday some students walked in practicing some simply English greetings:  "hello, teacher" or "good afternoon".  Although I wanted to speak all Spanish like I had on Monday, I decided to answer back in English.  Their faces lit up!!  That was the connection I needed!  As much as I wanted to practice my Spanish, they wanted even more to practice their English.  So before we started the craft on Tuesday I asked them some simple English questions.  They loved it.

Having only been with them two days and then a break for the police station on Wednesday, I was curious how they would respond on Thursday.  As I walked up to the classroom area before VBS started, I passed some of my students.  They had big smiles on their faces and asked, "are we going to have English class again?!"  So, as they drew something ilustrating LIFE on their 'magic paper', I went around and talked with them individually in English.  It is obvious that they are very eager to learn and practice English and it was so rewarding to hear about their hopes & dreams: they want to be singers, arquitects, doctors, bilingual secretaries, and psychologists.  They like to listen to music, watch TV, play sports and hang out with friends....sounds a lot like my students at HC.  However, when I look at the neighborhood these kids come from (simple wood-slatted walled homes with a tin ceiling and the earth for a floor) I wonder how many more obstacles they'll face compared to their American peers who have the same dreams & desires.

We're thankful to the Austin, TX team who invited us to join them this week at VBS.  They have made us feel like we're part of their group and we feel blessed for being able to get to know them and the 300 or so students at VBS.

No comments:

Post a Comment